Defeating Your Dental Anxiety
FOR PEOPLE WITH DENTAL anxiety and fear, the prospect of an appointment with the dentist can be so intimidating that they’d rather suffer tooth pain in silence than get it treated. That’s why we at Gardens Dental Care in Palm Beach Gardens are dedicating this post to helping our patients or future patients triumph over their dentist-related fears!
Don’t Let Pop Culture Give You The Wrong Idea About Dentists
Whenever dentists appear in movies and TV shows, we tend to be portrayed in a very over-the-top way that can make us seem much scarier than we are. These fictional stereotypes are relics of the pre-World War II era, before anesthetics where the norm, but modern dental offices have high standards for the care and comfort of patients. This Palm Beach Gardens dental office uses CEREC technology so you can have a crown done in just one appointment without messy impressions or annoying temporary crowns.
Don’t Be Embarrassed; Dental Anxiety Is Normal
If you’ve been struggling with a fear of the dentist, that’s nothing to feel embarrassed about. Between 9 and 15 percent of Americans are so nervous about the idea of going to the dentist that they avoid it completely! But just because it isn’t uncommon doesn’t mean it’s healthy. Preventing serious dental problems through regular, twice-a-year cleaning appointments is always better than allowing those problems to develop further.
7 Tips For Overcoming Dental Anxiety
- Tell our team that you are fearful – we’ll do everything possible to make you comfortable. That includes getting you a blanket or taking breaks in between the procedure to ask how you are doing.
- Don’t forget to take in good breaths to help relax your whole body.
- Listen to tunes. This can help drown out the sound of the equipment.
- Avoid caffeine or sugar before your appointment.
- Arrive early so you’re not anxious — and if you want to impress the team – ask for a toothbrush so your teeth can be food free when we start treatment.
- Choose a low stress appointment time so you’re less rushed. That can be one of our early morning appointments at 7am or even on a Saturday.
- Read our Gardens Dental Care reviews! You’ll find many folks from Jupiter and Stuart to Palm Beach Gardens who hate going to the dentist actually find it pleasant to visit us.
Get To Know Our Team!
If you or someone you care about struggles with dental anxiety, feel free to schedule a time to come to our practice, meet our team members, and get used to the facility. We want you to feel safe and comfortable when you’re with us, and we’ll answer any questions you may have! Check out this video on dental anxiety.